Monday, November 29, 2021

That Time My Buff EcoStretch Made the Worst Race of My Life a Bit Less Worse

"Disclaimer: I received a Buff USA Original EcoStretch to use and review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!"


I have written on this blog several times before about how much l love Buff products (here, here, here, and here). I've worn several different products for a variety of different uses and adventures. Arm sleeves, hats, neckwarmers, multifunctional headwear, you name it, I've used it. 

The latest Buff product I've been able to try out is the Buff Orignal EcoStretch. As you may know, Buff advertises that there are 12+ ways to wear their Multifunctional Headwear. Well, buckle up for this quick story about another way I found to wear mine in a time of dire need.

First, let me give you a bit more info about the Original EcoStretch. At its core is a moisture-managing microfiber fabric that is wind resistant, yet breathable. The deets from their website are as follows:

  • 95% recycled REPREVE® Performance Microfiber
  • 4-way ULTRA-STRETCH
  • UPF 50 Sun protection*
  • Recommended by The Skin Cancer Foundation**
  • Multifunctional - 12+ ways to wear
  • 100% Seamless
  • Moisture-wicking, quick-drying, breathable
  • One-size-fits-most adults
Basically, they are awesome. 

So now let me set the scene. Earlier this month I raced the Rock n Roll Savannah Half Marathon. It was cold, it was wet and it was nasty. Did I mention cold!? The weather was so bad in fact, the decision was made at 6:18 am (for a 7:30 am start) to cancel the Marathon event. The Half Marathon and Half Relay however were still on (lucky me). My friends and I decided to run our races anyway. I may or may not have whined A LOT and/or used the terms "Worst Race of my Life!" on multiple occasions. I'm honestly shocked my friends are still my friends in fact. But I digress... 

Pre-race. Don't we look absolutely thrilled?!
I am the lone runner not in a trash bag instead opting for the sleeker plastic poncho. 

I had my Buff EcoStretch around my neck for extra warmth. Cozy. But after around 5 miles, the fleecy hat I was wearing was so full of water, it kept slipping over my eyes. I literally ran into a cone at one point because my hat had slid down over my eyes. And not one of the little ones mind you, the people sized cones which luckily I just kinda bounced off of instead of completely fell over. I did manage to terrify the poor girl running next to me in the process. 

There was no way I could lose the hat, I needed it for what little warmth it was providing, plus it had a bill on it to keep the rain directly out of my eyes. So, thinking fast, I pushed up my EcoStretch from my neck to use it to hold my hat in place for the reminder of the race. It held in place perfectly (and gave a bit of extra warmth to my ears). I may have still been cold, wet and to be perfectly honest, completely miserable, but I could at least see where I was going and no longer in danger of errant road cones. 

This is a terrible pic, but it shows me crossing the finish line, hat still secure with my Buff

Multifunctional indeed 😀

But don't worry. I've also gotten to wear my EcoStretch on some more fun (and warmer) adventures too. I wore it to climb to the top of Table Rock, a super challenging 8 mile, 2000+ft hike and also on a 14 mile bike tour of Charlotte. And I know I will take it on many more adventures as well.

 
Table Rock Hike


Embarking on Biketoberfest in Charlotte


Interested in trying out some awesome Buff products for yourself? Visit https://www.buffusa.com/bibrave to register for their newsletter and you will get 15% Off your first Buff order.

No comments:

Post a Comment