Monday, November 15, 2021

Running in Costume (and in the Rain) - Costume Dash Recap

 I received entry into the Costume Dash 5K as a part of being a BibRave Pro. Check out BibRave.com to read and write race reviews. 

Even though things are starting to go back to normal (well, "New Normal") in the racing world, there are still some lingering effects from Covid as far as some races still either haven't yet returned, or in some cases unfortunately no longer being held at all. For one of my favorite Fall races, (and not just because it is my 5K PR) the Great Pumpkin Run in Rock Hill, SC is one such that hasn't yet returned. So to fill the Halloween themed race void, I decided to run the Costume Dash 5K Virtual Run this year. 


Full disclosure, one of the big reasons I registered for this event was the adorable swag. It was seriously cute. And lots of it. Everything was amazing quality (the shirt is amazing soft) and came in plenty of time before the week of Halloween when I intended to run my race.

My Thursday night Run Club (hosted by Rock Hill Brewing Company) was planning a costume run the Thursday before Halloween (Oct. 28) so I figured that would be perfect. Then I wasn't the only crazy running around Rock Hill in costume. 


It took me awhile to decide what to run in. I narrowed it down to Purple Crayon or Snow Leopard (both recycled costumes from my daughter's stash) but ultimately
 decided on the Snow Leopard for 2 reason - 1) it was fairly cold and a bit rainy on my chosen race day and the Snow Leopard costume was warmer and 2) I ran as a Purple Crayon the year before and didn't want to repeat.


Unfortunately, it was pretty rainy that night, but I'm a runner and we run rain or shine. Though our group was pretty small that week due to the rain, so I guess not everyone shares my opinion. Oh well, fun as still had! My 5K time was ok, I tend to take things a lot more cautious on wet roads, but most of all I had fun. I got some strange looks from people in downtown Rock Hill running in the rain as a Snow Leopard, but whatever! LOL! 

Overall, it was an awesome time, and I totally would recommend doing this Virtual again. The race kept in regular contact, posted frequently on social media and encouraged participants to interact with them with hashtags as well.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment