Sunday, September 1, 2019

Sun Protection for Your Runs: Stay-Put® SPF 30 Sunscreen

Disclaimer: I received some Sawyer Stay Put Sunscreen to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review, find, and write race reviews!

There are two main things that you need to know about me when I am making a recommendation on sunscreen - 

1) I am VERY pale. Like I am pretty sure this comic was written about me specifically - 




I also live in SC, which is very close to the sun
2) I run exclusively outside. Currently I am at 906 miles run for 2019 and every single one of them has been outside. A good chunk of them in the afternoon in fact. 

What I am basically saying is that I know a thing or two about sun protection (and sun burns for that matter). And what I mainly know is that you've got to keep those nasty UV rays off yourself as much as possible, unless you want big scars from getting suspicious spot removed from you skin (which I also have). 

In the past, protection meant searching for the highest SPF sunscreen possible, slathering it on and then wincing as it inevitably sweated into my eyes. And then repeat the process every hour so I don't turn tomato colored. So when I was given the opportunity to try out Sawyer Products Stay Put Sunscreen, which boasts all day sun protection with just 1 application, I was all over that. 

Here's how it works according to their website:

A Solid Bond, A Breathable Matrix
 While most sunscreens hold their lotions in the top two layers of skin, our Stay-Put SPF 30 sunscreen uses a special technology to bond the sunray absorbing agents deeper into the skin, uniquely penetrating where other sunblocks simply can’t reach. Sweat and water pass over the deeply absorbed compounds without flushing the protective sunscreen away.
 The Stay-Put formula was engineered to spread the same volume of lotion over a larger cubic area of skin, requiring less lotion per area of skin and producing a more comfortable, breathable feel — all while providing great all-day protection. You’ll hardly even know you have sunscreen on.
Basically, it doesn't go ON your skin, but UNDER it. 

So Does It Work?

I've tried out Sawyer Stay Put Sunscreen in a few different extreme circumstances so far, and each time it has performed amazingly! First I wore it for a few afternoon runs with no burns. First big test, I wore it on a Girl Scout Trip to Great Wolf Lodge where I, as the more adventurous (read: stupid) leader was drafted to supervise the only outdoor activity, the Ropes Course, for all 3 rotations. That meant almost 4 straight hours outdoor on the Ropes Course, with the inability to come down and get unharnessed to reapply sunscreen. Well guess what, NO SUNBURN! 


 


Next big test was I ran a super sunny, super hot race with a Craft Beer Festival after. I applied my Sunscreen around 6:30 am, before the sun even came up. I didn't get home until almost 1 pm with no reapplications. NO SUNBURN! 



And not only that, but these were very active and sweaty situations and not once did I feel greasy nor did I sweat sunscreen into my eyes. I am 100% sold on Sawyer Stay Put Sunscreen. When I run out of the original 8 oz bottle I have (which will actually probably be awhile since you only use a small amount compared to regular sunscreen) I will for sure be purchasing more from the Sawyer Amazon Storefront here: https://amzn.to/315wuwX 

Long story short, I love this stuff and highly recommend it for runners, or anyone for that matter. Want to learn more about Sawyer Products? Follow them on socials here:

Instagram

And be sure to follow me as well if you don't already:
RunNerdGirl Twitter
RunNerdGirl Instagram


1 comment:

  1. Wow, I loved the way you addressed this topic, your blog is very helpful. It helps me personally to learn something new. Here is another one which i think you will also like or others will find it useful it about TNW-The Natural Wash, it an Ayurvedic brand that deals with natural and chemical-free products

    Amirta | Know your skin essentials

    ReplyDelete