Saturday, September 7, 2019

Making Adjustments

So a few weeks ago I wrote a post about my upcoming goals here: Setting the Bar High and how I was chasing some pretty loft goals, mainly a sub-2 hour Half Marathon plus some pretty aggressive training to get there. Well, thought I'd post a quick update on how things went. 
I'm smiling, but I don't mean it

Let me get this out of the way first. I spectacularly failed my 9:00 min pace 10K on Aug. 17th. Like, It was pretty terrible. It was hot, humid  and hilly, like I expected and like an idiot I went out way too fast hoping to bank some time. And you know what happened instead? I got to mile 4 and felt like I would die from a side stitch. It was so terrible I had to come to a complete stop. I ended up losing a ton of time and basically hobbling the last 2 miles, clutching my side feeling like I was tearing apart. So yeah, not spectacular. 

My finish time was 57:06. That's a 9:12 pace finish, and I think my worst 10K finish in the last 2 years or so. I was gutted. Savannah Rock n Roll Half sub-2 seemed like a pipe dream. 

So what did I do? I grabbed a beer (or 2). Commiserated with my friends and got brunch.


And then I hit cranked up the Speed Work. I also started really working harder at the gym during my cross training at Burn Boot Camp. This failure just showed me that I had been resting on my laurels a bit and need to kick it into gear. I also looked to the future. 

I had another 10K coming up two weeks later. The Around the Crown 10K. This was a brand new race, and a seemingly awesome one at that. They were closing down the I-277 loop around Charlotte, NC and letting runners race on it. I was 100% in the moment I heard about the race. I have been totally looking forward to it. And now I was looking at it for redemption as well. 

First thing, despite only being 2 weeks later, the weather was much more agreeable. It was a bit cooler, and a bit less humid. I had been training in the extreme heat all summer, so already it felt like I would be faster. Second, the course was less extreme. Sure there were hills, it is Charlotte after all. One in particular was an almost 100 ft climb, but overall, the course was much flatter, another good sign. Also, I had been focusing on how fun this race would be for months now. Attitude can make a huge difference. And lastly, this race had pacers, so I had a solid strategy to keep myself from going out too fast - become BFF with the 55 min pacer stick with them. 

So how did it go? I KILLED IT!
Now THIS smile is a real one!!

Plus, it was SUPER COOL to run on the Interstate!
I literally had the best race of my life! It was fun, I felt great and I finished with an amazing time. Full disclosure, the course was .2 mile short, so my official time (50:37) reflects a 6 mile race, but when I crossed the finish line, I knew I had killed it and wanted a full 10K finish time so I kept running until my watch said 6.2, which was at 52:28 or a 8:28 pace!! HOLY BUTTS! I was ecstatic (still am)!! I got their by introducing my self to Eric, the amazing 55 min pacer and basically hanging out with him for 4 miles. He was awesome. He had studied the course and gave great advice and kept just a bit under pace and completely steady. Once we got past the big hill just before mile 4, I knew I was feeling pretty amazing still. I decided to push it and bid Eric goodbye and took off reducing my pace to just under 8:15 per mile for the last 2 miles. Heck, I felt so good, I could have kept going at that pace a few more miles no problem I think even. 

So what is the point of all of this? Well. I've got my Savannah strategy is one thing. RnR races have pacers so I plan to stalk the 2 hour pacer for at least the first 10 miles, much like I did at AtC. If at mile 10 I am feeling great, then off I shall take. And again, attitude is key and I am totally looking forward to Savannah. Like really really looking forward to it. Plus, I am going to keep pushing the Speed Work. It is starting to cool down a bit (just a bit) here in the South so I am thinking that will automatically help my pace. 

So what do you think? Any other advice you'd give me? You ever fall flat on a goal only to readjust and kill it shortly after/ How did you do it? Tell  me all about it in the comments.


And if you want to be a part of my epic Savannah Rock n Roll weekend of racing, you can register with discount codes “19RNRBRP16” for $16 off half/marathon or “19RNRBRP6” for $6 off shorter distances. I will also be running the 5K on Sunday as well. Here's the link to register - https://www.runrocknroll.com/savannah/

Let me know if you'll be there! 


No comments:

Post a Comment