Wednesday, February 23, 2022

2022 Hot Chocolate 15K Charlotte Recap

 I received entry into the Hot Chocolate Charlotte15K as a part of being a BibRave Pro. Check out BibRave.com to read and write race reviews.

This past weekend I got to run one of my favorite races of the year, the Hot Chocolate 15K Charlotte. What can I say about this race that I haven't already said before? It's awesome. 


This year I was super pleased that the temperatures were above freezing (just barely, but still above) at the start so I didn't have to layer as heavily as usual. My big ol' group of Burn Sisters took a big group picture before the race started as usual. This was our biggest group yet. Shortly after, the 5K runners headed towards the start to line up. Unusually, the 5K starts a half an hour before the 15K, but for once I got to see others off instead of taking off before them. 

I also got to hang out with fellow BibRave Pros TK and Stanley for a bit before the race started. So much fun to get the orange gang together! Though we were missing my girl, Kim, this year who was on an adventure of her own in NOLA!



It is awesome that the races uses pacers to help you meet your goal and I lined up at the start with the 9:30 pacers, my usual pace for this race. See it's only a couple of weeks before my regular Spring Half Marathon, so I don't usually stress to hard on this race, it's way more fun that anything. I was pleasantly surprised to find one of my close friends also with the pacers, and at that moment, we decided to run it together. This was her first year running it, and I had the experience on my side to let her know when the hills were coming (and boy were they coming). Here was the elevation profile:


My run partner for the 15K
My only negative comment on this year's race, which was unusual for this year, was that I think maybe an aid station got skipped as the first one wasn't until close to the halfway point of the race. Having to go 4.5 miles without water after a long start had me suffering a little, especially in the 3rd mile. There were 3 total aid stations and the other 2 were spaced fairly closely after, so it really did seem like there should have been one more around mile 2 - 2.5. I heard many runners, including the pacers, comment on the lack of early water. If you worry about that kind of thing, you might want to carry your own water. The aid stations that they did have had water, Nuun and some kind of candy - gummy bears, M&Ms and marshmallows in that order. I did grab a cup of gummy bears, dumped them into my pocket and spent the rest of the race sucking on two at a time for a much needed sugar boost. 

The finish line experience is always a super fun one. As you approach the finisher shoot, an announcer calls out each person's name and lots of spectators, including the 5K finishers are there to cheer you on. I was handed my medal and a bottle of water and a Honey Stinger Hydration pack. We hung out at the finish line for awhile cheering on the others in my group until we had all finished. Then we made our way over to the Goodies Station. After all, THAT is what we were there for, CHOCOLATE.


What more can I say about being handed a big bowl of chocolate goodies? I mean, of course it is amazing. The finisher bowl had a hot chocolate in the middle, and chocolate fondue, Oreos, Rice Krispy Treat, graham crackers, marshmallow and banana in it. SO GOOD! As always, I stuffed my face right there. 


Another super cool thing about Hot Chocolate races (in addition to the BEST Swag and the BEST finish line yummies) is that they give you free finisher photos. And they are near immediate. I had an email from the race with my pics before I even got home from the race! I am completely loving this finish line photo! Seriously, I have flying feet over the finish line. It doesn't get any cooler than that. Except yeah it does, because it was also FREE! 




And speaking of the Swag, I am pretty sure that this year's jacket is my new favorite. I know I say that every year, but I really do love this one a lot. I've already worn it like 3 times and I've only had it a few days. It is gonna get worn tons. It looks cool, is warm and so comfy! And THUMB HOLES! Need I say more? 


Overall, the race, as usual, was awesome. This was my 5th year, so I also got a really cool Silver 5 Year Legacy Mug and Hot Chocolate Bomb. It will for sure not be my last year, not by far. Despite the hills, you know I will be back in 2023!


Did you miss out on the HC15K Charlotte but still want a piece of the fun (and chocolate). Well you're in luck, the HC season isn't over. There are still a few more locations this year which you can check out here: https://hotchocolate15k.com/ And... my Extra Swag Code: HC21 still works for getting this stylish HC branded Buff. It's seriously nice, much thicker than I expected (double layer) and I look forward to wearing it... if I can ever get it away from my tubby kitty!!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment