Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Some Like It Hot

It's getting a bit warm out
I grew up at the beach (Myrtle Beach to be specific) so I am no stranger to heat and especially humidity. So while I am still not a huge fan of running in extreme humidity, I'm no stranger to it, so it doesn't bother me quite as much as some of my local running friends. 

And while I could take the Summer months off (especially this year with no significant races on the horizon) I choose to keep up my mileage despite the 90+ degrees and 90+ percent humidity. The selfish reasoning for this is that as I've said before, Summer Running Makes Fall Races. If I can keep my pace and distances up in while it feels like I am running through hot soup, then when cooler temps and lower humidity hit, I feel like I am flying. And this Fall I am shooting for my first ever sub-2:00 Half at the Rock n Roll Savannah Half Marathon* the first week of November, so I will keep pushing all Summer long. 

But just because Summer Running is hard doesn't mean it has to be miserable. I've compiled a few of my favorite Hot Weather Running Tips for rocking your Summer Runs.


  1. HYDRATE - Perhaps the number 1 rule of Summer Running is to make sure that you are hydrating. And just water may not cut it depending on the distance, heat, humidity levels. Typically, I will drink an electrolyte prior to my run if I am running late in the day, drink water during my run, and then more electrolyte drink post run. I've tried several types of hydration and think I've found my favorite recently in Ultima Replenisher. It is made with  6 balanced electrolytes plus support minerals, real fruit flavors, plant-based colors, sweetened naturally with organic stevia leaf extract and no sugar, carbs or calories. I will be doing a comprehensive review of Ultima soon.

  2. TAKE IT EASY - When it gets hot and humid, it gets harder to run. This is fact. You will put in more effort on your same runs in the heat, especially in the hottest parts of the day, so take it a bit easier. Try running by feel rather than by setting pace goals and be sure to give yourself a break if your times aren't what you think they should be. Try checking out this handy calculator for adjusting your pace for higher temps - https://runnersconnect.net/training/tools/temperature-calculator/

  3. PROTECT YOURSELF - Sun screen and Sunglasses and Hats/Visors are a MUST for summer running. Actually, these are a must year-round, but they are especially important in the summer. I'll be the first to admit that I am bad about the sunscreen, need to do better, but I never run without my Shady Rays X Series Shades these days. Love them! Polarized and wrap around for more coverage - you'll hear more about these soon.
  4. GET SHADY - Seek shade where you can. If you have access to a treadmill, great! When it gets super hot out, use that instead. For those of us without treadmill access, seek out shadier routes. I have a favorite route along the Catawba River that has a lot of shady tree cover and will seek that out on super hot/sunny days.

  5. DRESS FOR SUCCESS - Lighter clothing and moisture wicking fabrics are your friend in the Summer months. Ditch the cotton shirts and socks (well, ditch those any time of the year really) and look for performance fabrics that are breathable and designed for running in hotter conditions.

  6. BE SMART - Most importantly, be smart about your Summer Running and pay attention to how you are feeling. Any signs of distress like dizziness, nausea, disorientation, sudden headache and so on) could be a sign of heat stroke and you should end your run immediately. No one run (or even week of running) will break your goals so if conditions are just too extreme, it's better to be safe than sorry. 


Did I miss a tip? Let me know in the comments. And have a safe and fun Summer so you can kill those Fall races! 

Interested in joining me at the Rock n Roll Savannah Race Weekend, Nov 2-3? I've got some awesome discount codes to share - use  code “19RNRBRP16” for $16 off the Half Marathon and Marathon distances and “19RNRBRP6” for $6 off the 5K and 1 miler. I'll be running both the Half and the 5K!

Want to try the electrolyte drink I mentioned above, Ultima Replenisher? Use code “ULBRAVE19" for 10% off at the amazon.com/shops/ultimareplenisher storefront.

And if you are interested in a pair of Shady Rays like mine, use code “RAVE” for 50% off 2 or more pairs from the Shade Shop - https://shadyrays.com/collections/shade-shop


No comments:

Post a Comment