Tuesday, May 4, 2021

A Quick Update - On the Road Again!

 So.... I'M RUNNING AGAIN!! Yay!

My first "aggressive walk"
I completed the Run to Escape 
Challenge #1 for Dionysus
Okay, if I am being completely honest, I started running (or as I was calling it - Aggressively Walking - a few days earlier than I was technically allowed, but I did wait until I was at the 12 week mark past my knee surgery. Mostly I wanted to test out the knee because it was feeling strong and ready to go. And It was! I can feel a bit of pull in the knee, but not what I would call pain and not in the actual joint, but in the quad muscle around the VMO area, which is totally normal and expected. But I did intervals, 1 minute run and 1 minute walk, so as not to start out too hard and too fast. And you know what, my times were pretty good for the running portion! I was averaging below 12 minute miles with even the walk breaks. I couldn't do that the last time around!


On April 28 (last Wednesday) I had a follow up appointment with the doctor that did my knee surgery. This was 13 weeks and 6 days since my surgery (but who's counting) and long story short, he said that my progress was "beyond expectations" and I was released for activity as I saw fit. YAY!! I was so super excited.

This is the face of a girl who was just told she could run again!

That afternoon I went to PT and shared the good news. And they FINALLY let me on the treadmill. I ran a mile that was pretty slow TBH, but I ran a mile. Then after, I went home to run another road mile! But I am trying my best to not overdo it, because, well, I want to keep being able to run. Once I was officially allowed to run, I switched to 2:1 intervals. This week, I switched to 5:1 intervals. So far I am holding strong, even though of course I am frustrated to not be faster already.

So that begs the question - Now that I can run again, what races am I signed up for. TBH, probably too many and considering more. Here's my upcoming calendar of races I am already registered for (I may pick up a few more along the way)

My 2021 Race Calendar (so far)

  • May 15th - Detective Mike Doty Memorial 5K
  • June 2nd - Sundown Series 5K Race #1
  • June 27th - Charlotte Racefest Half Marathon (discount code RUNCLTRUN2021)
  • July 4th - American 4 Miler
  • July 7th - Sundown Series 5K Race #2
  • Aug 4th - Sundown Series 5K Race #3
  • Aug 28th - Greekfest 5K
  • Sept 5th - Around the Crown 10K
  • Sept 11th - Hit the Brixx 10K
  • Sept 26th - Novant 15K
  • Oct 10th - Craft Beer 5 Miler
  • Oct 16th - Rocktoberfest Half Marathon
  • Nov 6th - RnR Savannah Half Marathon
  • Nov 7th - RnR Savannah 5K and 1 Miler (both)
  • Nov 13th - Charlotte Half Marathon (discount code LISSAHN2021)
So yeah, a few races... But I am super excited to get back out there and racing in person on 2 properly balanced knees with fresh new cartilage. 

This is me, unable to move after a
Caroline Jordan Ab workout
In other fitness news, I also have been doing quite a bit to keep up on cross training which I fully credit for my quick improvement. I found the Caroline Jordan Fitness YouTube channel and have been doing a lot of her workouts. They are fantastic and most are geared to people with range of movement issues. That's how I found her originally in fact, looking for Chair Cardio workouts before I was able to properly walk. I've since become a Paetron so I can have access to her Monthly Fitness Calendar, which I faithfully followed in April. When I was released for high impact on the 28th, I also rejoined Burn Boot Camp and will primarily do their workouts again, but I do plan to incorporate some of Caroline's shorter specialized videos on a daily basis (like 5 Minute Abs - trust me, it is TOUGH) and some of the stretching videos. Check her channel out here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkadh1ZnrCDOF8awC9NbAbA She's super motivating, and I am NOT a perky fitness girl, but somehow don't mind her constant cheerfulness. It's super endearing in fact. These workouts have helped loads in returning to regular activity by helping keep my endurance up and working the muscle groups that I could like my core, glutes and just overall helping me to keep a bit sane when I couldn't run. Moral of the story, you no matter your mobility situation, you can keep moving no matter what. I've been tracking my workouts all this year and I've only gone 1 day in 2021 without some kind of workout, the day after my surgery. That's it. Every other day I have found some way or another to move. 

So what's going on in your life? Tell me about your future plans, your wins and your challenges in the comments below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment