Friday, July 10, 2020

Phase 2: Starting the Actual Recovery

I had my 4 week post-knee surgery evaluation this morning and I’m cleared to start working my way back to full range of motion and full weight bearing. The crutches will still be a part of my life for a few more days (I’m a bit shaky) but I’m ready to get this party restarted!!

Right now my range of motion is around 90°. I’ve still got some swelling, but the doctor said that he expected that. He started me taking a Glucosamine with Chondroitin supplement to further promote cartilage growth, but he said the joint is moving very fluidly which is a great sign.

I celebrated by taking a walk around my neighborhood shortly after I got home. It wasn't fast, and it wasn't far, but it was pretty awesome to be mobile again. By the time I got back to the house, I was pretty sore. My leg is not used to being used and it is going to take me a bit to get back into the swing of mobility. 

After icing my knee for awhile, I spent a good chunk of the middle part of the day doing chores around the house that I had not been able to do. It was super nice to be able to get up and do things instead of asking someone else. I'm sure this renewed excitement in being able to do chores will not last long, but I hope I can get some things done around the house that haven't happened in the past month before it does. The clutter is strong here with 3 family members never leaving the house! 

Later in the afternoon, I got the call from the PT place that I chose, one located about a half a mile from my house (so close that if I could walk better, I could walk there). I asked for their first available appointment. They had an opening on Monday at 4:30 pm! I cannot wait. Remind me I said that after the first day and I am in tears!

Overall, I am starting to form a renewed sense of optimism. I am finally feeling like I am getting over the hump of all of this. Most of all, I am ready to leave behind the "waiting to heal" phase and move into the actual recovery. And the knee brace, VERY EXCITED to leave the knee brace behind. In fact, I left it in the car, not even allowing it back into the house. It's fate has yet to be decided, but I'm thinking bonfire... 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment