Saturday, April 18, 2020

Release the Runner: Breaking Down Barriers



So last week, as a part of the Release the Runner series that BibRave is hosting, I posted about My Running Story here: https://runnerdgirl.blogspot.com/2020/04/release-runner-my-story.html

This week we'll be talking about some of the Barriers that new runners can face and discussing some tips to overcome them. 


Barrier 1: Thinking you need fancy gear or expensive gear? Nope, all you need is the desire to go out and do it. While it is helpful to have some quality shoes to get you started (my number 1 tip would be to get yourself fitted by a professional for running shoes, this will save you from lots of potential injuries and uncertainty) as far as fancy, expensive gear like running watches and designer clothing, none of that is truly necessary. In fact, I say, wait on all of that, find out what kind of runner you really are before you invest in gear and tech. A lot of it won't fit your style, once you discover what it is. A good pair of shoes, some breathable clothing and a free phone app like Strava to keep track of your miles are all you need to get started. 

Barrier 2: Maybe you're not sure how much you should be running as a beginner. There are so many free training plans available online though a quick Google Search. Or, how I personally got started was by downloading the Couch to 5K app on my iPhone. It was free and it walked me right though exactly what to run and when. It was the perfect training tool for a beginner and again totally free. 

Barrier 3: Finding the time to run. This is a big one, perhaps the biggest in normal circumstances. Our schedules are so busy, but trust me, if it is important to you, you will find a way to fit in 30 min to an hour a few times a week to run. After all, this is your health we are talking about, what is more important than that? This is why now, when it is more likely that you are working for home, or maybe like me on a furlough from work, that makes it a good time to get started. Once you learn to love it, and I bet you will, you will find the time, be it after work, early mornings, maybe during your lunch break, or during your child's activities. When I was on my regular schedule, I would plan out my week of which days I needed to do morning runs and get up early and which days my daughter had Taekwondo class and I could run then. Once you get going, trust me, this part becomes easier. 

My first race EVER, the Come See Me Road Race 5K
Barrier 4: It seems too hard. Well, I am going to be straight with you, yes, running is hard. But, it will get easier. I promise. When I first started running, I couldn't run more than about 30 seconds at a time. But like with anything, with practice, you will get better. It will get easier. You will hit milestones in your running that will make you feel amazing and push your to want to do more. Today is the 6 year anniversary of my very first race. It was a 5K and the first time I ever ran the distance without stopping to walk. 6 years later, I've since run a marathon and trained for an Ultra. I will never say that it is easy because you will find ways to challenge yourself, but it does become easier. 

Barrier 5: Need motivation to get started and don't know where to look? If you need motivation, trust me, the online running community has your back. Get on Twitter and search #BibChat. We'll be there to get you started and before you know it, you'll have more running friends than you know what to do with. Find a local running store, most communities have at least one and ask if they do group runs. Most do. Ask at your local bar even! Where I live almost all of the local breweries have a weekly run club. There are people out there who can steer you in the right direction. Trust me, there is no one friendlier than a runner talking about running!

Did I miss a Barrier that is effecting you? If so, what is it? I'd be happy help you brainstorm ways to overcome it. And be sure to check out the BibRave Pro community by following #bibchat on both Twitter and Instagram for more tips on how to Release the Runner in you. 




No comments:

Post a Comment