Sunday, September 16, 2018

Going with the Flo

So, a hurricane hit South Carolina this weekend, maybe you've heard. 

Radar Map of Friday Night 9/14
As I sit here typing out this blog, I can hear the pitter patter of rain drumming on the outside of my windows. Occasionally, a large wind gust will rattle the siding. I live n SC just south of the NC border under Charlotte. All in all, it's pretty much just like any other summer storm we have. Well, except so far at least, no thunder and lightening, so all things considered, it's actually a bit better than your typical summer storm. The actual storm part, not just the wind and the constant rain, is supposed to be hitting our area in a few hours still. 

We've been very lucky in our area in that conditions have been way more mild than news and weather stations reported that they could be. Hurricane Florence, now Tropical Depression Florence, came in a much more mild storm the original projects and has continued to rapidly deteriorate as it limped across SC.  And I've been doing my best to keep from getting all cabin fevery. 

First off, I figured on Friday that there would be no way that I would be able to get my long run in on Saturday morning. So, after work, off I headed to put in 8 miles. The wind was a bit whippy and got hit by a few sporadic, what I would call "heavy sprinkles" but the storm had actually sucked out a bit of the humidity in the area and the cloud cover left it nice and cool. Overall, it was one of my better recent runs and I was able to manage a decent pace throughout. Very happy with that.

Friday Run - Wind Hair, Don't Care

On Saturday, the rain started. It raining and rained and rained a bit more. Never terribly heavy, but consistent. Every once and a while, I could tell that one of the heavier rain belts would roll in and the rain would pick up for a bit, but just as fast, it would go back to the slow and steady sprinkling. After being cooped up all day doing chores around the house and watching some TV with the family, I decided to make a break for it and do some running in the neighborhood. Didn't want to stray too far in case it started back up again, and if I run every street in my neighborhood 2x, it is just over 3 miles. The roads were fairly wet, so my shoes and socks go pretty squishy, pretty quickly, but it wasn't a terrible run by any stretch. I run in far worse conditions, so again, happy that I was able to get out there. 

Saturday's "Get Out of the House" Run

Current Situation -  Steady Rain and Blah
So that brings me today. Yeah, today is going to be a rest day. I would probably be safe running around the neighborhood again, but ugh, it's just yuck out there. With no treadmill options for me, if I run, it's outside, so I guess for today I won't run. Everything should clear out by tomorrow, so I'll just wait until then. This has me slightly under my goal miles for the week, but I am ahead of the game for the year, so I'm okay with that.

For those of you who are still in the path of the storm, stay safe. For those of you who the storm has passed already, I hope you came out safely and don't have too much of a clean up ahead of you. All in all, I am thankful the storm was so mild. I know there were some lives lost and I am so sorry for that, but again so thankful that it was not worse. 

Stay safe out there everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment