Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Hot Chocolate Charlotte 15K: My Top 10 Favorite Things

 I received entry into the Hot Chocolate Charlotte15K as a part of being a BibRave Pro. Check out BibRave.com to read and write race reviews.

This past weekend I got to run one of my favorite races of the year, the Hot Chocolate 15K Charlotte. What can I say about this race that I haven't already said before? It's awesome. So this year I decided to switch up my review just a bit and instead do a Top 10 Favorite Things about the Hot Chocolate Charlotte 15K.

#1 The Fun and Efficient Expo

The Expo for the Hot Chocolate Races is always a lot of fun. This year was I think the best one yet. First off, the expo is so well organized and efficient. You walk in with your QR code and volunteers will print your bib right there. The whole process takes seconds. Then, they will direct you to the next area for you to pick up your bag with jacket already loaded. If you are getting a Legacy gift, that is right on your bib and you go to that table. Getting extra Swag cause you used a BibRave code, next table is waiting for you. Even if you have an issue, for example I was picking up a bib for a friend that had to change distances due to an injury, and it was so quick and easy to do. I just informed them of the change and they printed a new bib, no fuss. 

The expo is also full of lots of local vendors like Fleet Feet Sports, Lidl and other local races. You can pick up Hot Chocolate swag (often at discounted pricing).  And there are lots of cute photo opportunities. This light up selfie booth was new this year and I loved it!

#2 The Expo Goodies

Everyone knows that the Hot Chocolate Races have goodies at the finish line, but did you know that they also have goodies at the Expo? They are so yummy I felt they deserved their own special shout out. You can get hot chocolate, chocolate covered marshmallows, chocolate dipped cookies, wrapped chocolates, heck, there were two kind ladies with buckets of chocolate greeting you at the entrance even! The Expo is a chocolate lover's paradise! 


My friend Katie and I chowing down on Chocolate Marshmallows

#3 A Distance for Everyone

This year the Hot Chocolate Races added a new distance. So not only could you run the usual 5K or 15K, there was a new 10K option. This was a much welcomed addition and I know a lot of my friends registered for the 10K distance this year. And the 10K runners of course got all the same amazing goodies and SWAG as the 15K and 5K runners. I'm seriously considering switching over the the 10K distance myself for next year!

#4 Seeing So Many Running Friends

And because there are so many options (and so many yummies) the Hot Chocolate Races are ones where I consistently see a huge number of my running friends. It is the one race that everyone gets excited about. I run with several different groups and guaranteed I see a few from each either before or after the race. Heck this year, when I crossed the finish line, I knew two of the other runners beside me in the chute! Here's just a few of the faces I saw pre-race:

Run the Rock /  Burn Boot Camp Crew

It's always a party with BibRave Pros!

My Fleet Feet Fam!


#5 The Course is Scenic and Challenging

I love running through uptown Charlotte. I am not so much a "big city" kind of girl, but there is something really cool about turning off Central Ave. onto 7th Street and seeing all the tall buildings in the skyline. Additionally, part of the 15K course goes through some of Charlotte's nicest neighborhoods (Plaza Millwood, Villa Heights and the Country Club) and part is on the Greenway that surrounds uptown Charlotte, so you get a little bit of everything on your run. And yes, the course is pretty dang hilly, but that just makes you feel more accomplished when you do cross that (uphill) finish line!  

#6 The Finisher Area

The finisher are for the Hot Chocolate Charlotte is always a party! Held in First Ward Park, there is lots of room to find your friends, hang out, visit vendors and of course there are the adorable inflatables for photo opportunities. My favorite, of course, is Marshall. I always make sure to get a finisher pic with my favorite giant marshmallow. 



#7 The Yummy Treats

Do I need to even say anything here? You knew that this would be on the list for sure! 

Hot Chocolate, Banana, Chocolate Dip, Marshmallow,
Rice Krispy Treat, Cookies, Graham Crackers and more!


#8 Free Race Pics

You have to love a race that has free on-course and finisher photography. I literally had an email with my pictures in it before I even had gotten home from the race! You have the option to pay for high resolution or printed photography, but low res images are free for all runners. I think there were 9 photos for me to choose from, a few on course and a few at the finish. This was my favorite one. Can you tell I am excited to be finishing?! And even better, the runner to my right and left are both friends of mine. No we did not plan that or run it together on purpose, it was just one of those awesome coincidences that makes the Hot Chocolate race a PARTY!! Hey there Robin and Jeramy!! 



#9 The After Party

The Hot Chocolate Charlotte starts and finishes at First Ward Park, which is conveniently located to so many cool places in uptown to hang out and grab some brunch with friends after. This year was no different. After the race, a group of us hit up the 7th Street Market, which is literally within sight of the finish line. There are a ton of restaurants and shops in the Market. (Also, there is a parking garage there and a light rail stop so you can get in and out super quickly for the race and whatever after.) It is always amazing to catch up and have few mimosas post-race. 



#10 The Swag

I've said it 100 times now I swear. Hands down, the Hot Chocolate Races have the BEST Swag out there. Rather than a zip up, this year we got a pull over hoody with 2 zipper pockets. I just love it. I wore it this morning to the gym in fact. Heck I've only had it a week now and I swear I've worn it probably 4 times. The medals are always awesome and depending on how many years you've been running the races, you can get even more treats as 3, 5 and 10 year Legacy gifts (this was my 7th race and year 6 for me, so just the standard swag (plus Hot Chocolate extra swag hat - see below) for me this year!



So there you have it. My favorite things about the Hot Chocolate Charlotte. Did you miss out this year but still want a piece of the fun (and chocolate). Well you're in luck, the HC season isn't over. There are still a few more locations this year which you can check out here: https://hotchocolate15k.com/ And... my Extra Swag Code: BRPRUNHAT still works at other race locations for getting this stylish HC branded hat.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment