Monday, March 30, 2020

The World's Gone Virtually On Hold

This is my first post since this whole Global Pandemic thing reared it's ugly head. We've all been having to adjust to the "new normal" and learn how to navigate the world again. So it's kind of a weird time, right? 
My new office

First of all, I'd like to say that I acknowledge that I am very very lucky. My family is healthy and we have the luxury of being able to work from home. We were able to stock up on plenty of food (without hording) and heck even have a few spare rolls of toilet paper. We are not on an official "Lockdown" order here in SC, but we are acing like we are in the sense of sticking close to the house except for leaving to run solo. I expect that I will need to make a run to the grocery store by the end of the week, but I will be doing that alone and going in, grabbing what I need, and coming right out. As you can see, we are very fortunate. 

So with all that said, I feel like a total brat for complaining... but... OMG I LOST ALL MY SPRING RACES!! 😭😭😭

You may recall, I had signed up for an insane number of 9 Spring races over a 2 month period. Well, I got to do exactly 1 of them, the Myrtle Beach Half Marathon, and all 8 others were cancelled. Also cancelled was my first Summer race on May 31. The announcements of these cancellations all came within a few days of each other and I admit, I took it a bit hard. There were some tears even. I totally understand the decisions, cancelling these types of events was totally the right call, I know the Race Directors did not want in any way to disappoint the runners and pretty much all of them have offered multiple options for cancelled entries. For more races, here's how they've been handled:
  1. Shamrock 4 Miler, Original Date - March 14, went to Virtual Option - run the race, post your time and get your packet and medal.
  2. Yuengling Shamrock 8K, Original Date - March 21, could choose either Virtual Option and get packet sent to you or defer to 2021. I chose to defer.
  3. Yuengling Shamrock Half Marathon - Original Date - March 22, could choose either Virtual Option and get packet sent to you or defer to 2021. I chose to defer.
  4. Craft Beer 5 Miler, Original Date - March 28, could choose either Virtual Option and get packet sent to you or defer to 2021. I chose to defer.
  5. Come See Me Road Race 5K, April 18, looking to reschedule but no new date yet
  6. Kings Mountain 10K, April 25, choice of either Virtual Option or Race rescheduled on October 3rd. Right now, I am hoping to do the Oct. 3 race, but there may be a scheduling conflict that I am trying to work through.
  7. Dicks Sporting Goods Pittsburgh 5K, Original Date - May 2, could choose either Virtual Option and get packet sent to you or refunded entry fee. I have chosen to race Virtually.
  8. Dicks Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Half Marathon- Original Date - May 3, could choose either Virtual Option and get packet sent to you or refunded entry fee. I have chosen to race Virtually.
My Virtual Shamrock 4 Miler Post run presentation of SWAG

So yeah, everyone is doing the best they can and offering all kinds of options to make everyone as happy as possible. And for now, for me at least, the only "race" I have on the horizon is the Virtual Steel Challenge - the Dicks Sporting Goods 5K and Half Marathon on May 2nd and 3rd. And while I hate that I do not get to race it in person in Pittsburgh, one of my favorite cities full of some of my favorite people, I'm excited to earn some pretty awesome bling including 2 shirts, 3 medals and a pair of awesome Knockaround sunglasses. And if that sounds good to you as a way to keep motivated during this time of uncertainty, the good news is that they are still accepting new Virtual entries. You can register here if you like. https://thepittsburghmarathon.com/VirtualRace



Getting it done... Solo Style
So that's my plan. Gonna keep running and keep training, while making sure to practice smart social distancing. Been hooking up with my run crews virtually, but have been doing only solo runs for the last week and a half.

So what has kept you active and motivated during this super weird time? Let me know in the comments so I can cheer you on virtually. And I'll be sure to keep you up to date on how my Steel Challenge training is going.

received entry into the Dicks Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Half Marathon as a part of being a BibRave Pro. Check out BibRave.com to read and write race reviews. 

No comments:

Post a Comment