Fun Fact: The average female runner's breasts travel approximately 3 miles in bounce when running a marathon*
That's crazy! And one of the reasons that I am always on the look out for an amazing sports bra, one that will keep the girls locked in and closer to my legs' mileage instead of running off ahead of me. Seriously, and I have no shame. I will totally hit up my fellow lady friends about their bras in random conversations. Last Fall, my girl - BarkingMadRun receive a Handful Bra at The Running Event. The second I saw her post about it, I IMed her - Hey, tell me more about that bra. She had nothing but amazing things to say, so I knew I had to try it. Luckily, I too got the opportunity to try a Handful bra - The Closer.
Yo, she was right. This is a pretty great bra. Here's the official details from the Handful website:
- Removable Lights Out™ Pads
- Front zip for easy on/off
- Smooth, stretchy, and supportive performance fabric
- Soft, moisture-wicking lining
- Quick-dry polyester/spandex shell
- Breathe easy with power mesh
- Adjustable straps – lengthen or shorten for custom fit
And here's my un-official purely my opinion details after wearing it for the following activities - running, strength training, yoga, recovery and dorking it up on my brother's trampoline:
- This bra is super soft! It's really comfortable to wear. In fact, I packed it as a part of my post-marathon outfit
- No chafing issues, which I often have. My first run with it was in an unexpected rainstorm and I had nary a mark on me.
- I like that it is pretty high cut in the front. I've had bras that show a bit too much cleavage for a sports bra and it always makes me a bit self conscious, esp at the gym.
- Super easy zipper front - Yo, I wore my Closer for Arm Day this week at Burn and man, I'm not sure I could have wrestled my way out of a traditional sports bra after. Bonus points for not being able to feel the zipper at all. I had another zipper front sports bra that I could never quite adjust it to the point where the zipper wasn't an issue. No problems with this one. There's also a cute little hook to hold the bra closed while you line up the zipper
- It's cute! Not a deal breaker/maker, but having cute things is nice. Esp since it does peek out a bit in the front on most of my running tops, but I don't mind a bit because it is really cute. I picked the Spoon Me silvery color for this reason. The back is also nice, but the way it is designed I've never seen it sticking out from my racer-back tanks, but again, I wouldn't mind if it did.
Did I fail to mention the yoga I wore it to was Cat Yoga!
- Let me talk real quick about the Lights Out Pads. Okay, I'm not a padded bra kind of girl. I'm one to pretty much remove the pads, never to be seen again, really for 2 reasons - first, I don't need them, and second, once they come out, good luck getting them back in right without looking lumpy. Well, with my Closer, I decided to get the full experience and wear the pads for my post-marathon comfort outfit, so back in the pads went. And to my delight, the pads have idiot(me)-proof instructions on the back! Seriously, they not only identify right/left and up/down, but also have little hands to show you the correct direction. FREAKING BRILLIANT!
Even I can put these back in proper!
Overall, I am super happy with my Handful Closer Bra and will be taking advantage of their BibRave partner discount - using discount code "BIBRAVE" for 10% off on their website: https://handful.com/ to get at least another one if not more (you can totally use this discount code too!)
*Figure based on information from Michelle Norris, senior research associate in the department of sport and exercise science at the University of Portsmouth in the U.K. who estimated that breasts move on avg 15 cm per stride with an avg stride of 4.4 ft.