Friday, March 22, 2019

To Compress, or Not To Compress

Disclaimer: I received a pair of CEP 3.0 Tall Socks to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews! 

There's a question that I see at least once per week on Twitter or Facebook - Should I run with Compression Socks? It's a question that can spark lots of debate with runners. Scientific studies have shown to be inconclusive, but in general, purely on anecdotal evidence, many runners believe that compression during a run helps them with muscle fatigue and for recovering much more quickly. Most agree that post-run, they are for sure super effective.

Me (and my BBB crew) post RnR Savannah - Wore compression socks,
bought from the Expo, got new Half Marathon PR. Coincidence?
For me, I use compression socks for long runs (those over 10 miles) and for recovery both. I suffered from reoccurring shin splints when I first started running and compression seemed to really help me. For the past 2 or 3 years now, I have worn compression socks for pretty much all of my races, all Half Marathons (and my single Marathon) and occasionally for shorter distances too. Maybe it is just the mental aspect of them, feeling the snug comfort brings a bit more confidence more so than actual science based reason, but for whatever reason, they do well for me. 

Color cooridination FTW!

Based on recommendations, I've tried a few different brands of compression socks, but my favorite by far are CEP. My local Fleet Feet Sports recommended CEP for me initially and they are the brand that I've been the most comfortable in. They fall into the category of a bit on the pricey side, but worth every penny - I try very hard to purchase quality items that cost more but last much longer lives and thus, cheaper in the long run. CEP are an ideal mix of tight, but comfortable. And they come in really cute colors - I currently own 5 pairs, each a different shade (teal/pink, black/grey, orange/pink - 2.0 tall, yellow/black - Trail Merino and my newest pair, pink/grey - 3.0 tall. 


Yup, just recently, CEP introduced the next generation of their Tall Socks, the 3.0. They are amazing. They provide even more precise compression exactly where your legs need it the most. They have also improved the moisture wicking and breathabilty of the socks ensuring that you will not overheat and stay comfortable. Perhaps the neatest (and most noticeable) improvement is to the is that the toe box is now designed asymmetrical, kind of how like toes actually line up. 
Photo credit: Holabird Sports


Post-marathon ride home
I wore two pairs of CEP socks just this past weekend and could not have been happier with the results. I ran my first ever Marathon (I may have mentioned it a few times) and wore a pair of my tried and true 2.0s for the race and wore my 3.0s for recovery for after the race. And you know what? The next day, when everyone kept asking me how I felt and if I was sore, I was reminded again and again just how good my legs felt. Like seriously, I kept thinking I should feel way worse, but pain (other than a minor issue that I had before the marathon) was pretty much non-existent. Sure, I was a bit stiff, but overall, I have to say, recovery has been awesome. 


You can check out more information about the new CEP 3.0 Tall Socks on the CEP webpage here: https://www.cepcompression.com/ Also check out your local running store, I just go an email from my local Fleet Feet today that they are now in stock there. 


2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your marathon. I'm glad you're recovery went so well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on completing your first full marathon! It's such an amazing feeling! Even more amazing? Not feeling like your legs are going to fall off afterward due to these incredible CEP compression socks. :D

    ReplyDelete