Friday, December 8, 2017

Friday Training Update - It's Cold and Wet and UGH Out There!

I had big high hopes of getting out there and pounding some pavement this week but OMG it is nasty with a capital N out there! So yeah, today, despite having a kit packed, I seriously doubt that it is getting used. So, what exactly have I been up to, other than whining about the weather?


 On Saturday, I ran the Christmasville Reindeer Romp 5K to benefit Girls on the Run. Usually I volunteer for this race instead of run it (I've got me a pretty cozy corner as a course marshal that I've occupied the last several GotR races that I've grown fond of). But this year, I got asked to be a Run Partner for a girl who was a bit faster pace than the rest of her team. I met her and she was super sweet and I figured, why not. So, race day morning, we line up and my girl is nervous. At the start, she takes off like a SHOT. I was told her pace was in the 10 min range. We clear closer to an 8 min mile for the first mile. I've promised this girl's family I will keep an eye on her, so I do my best to keep it up. After about 1.25 miles, she starts to slow up complaining of a side cramp. Oh, thank goodness, I guiltily think to myself. I coach her through some breathing techniques and keep her moving forward and we go back and forth fast walking/sprinting the remainder of the race. When we get to the last turn, I tell her to take the turn and just run for it. She crossed the finish line in under 30 min even with the walk breaks and it's pretty awesome. 

After the race, I pull on a Nightmare Before Christmas Ugly Sweater and meet up with my friend Kim (Barking Mad About Running) and her hubby for a pancake breakfast and to spend some time walking around Christmasville. My husband and little join me a bit later and well, I continue to wander around looking like a bit of a weirdo. Luckily, the official Christmasville photographer notices me and well, I have no shame, so long story short, I'm on the Christmasville site dressed like this - 


Sunday the plan was to head to Riverwalk for 6 miles while my little one worked on some Girl Scout Badge work with her Brownie Leader, Tish. Well, when Tish heard I was running, her oldest daughter decided she wanted to run with me instead of help out the younger girls. Who am I to say no, so my training run turned into a interval run with an 11 yr old partner. Elyn was aiming for 2 miles, but when we passed the girls, she decided that no, she wasn't interested in running (happens to the best of us) and left me after 1.5. I got in another 4 steady miles after that. 

On Monday, I worked from home due to having to get a new hot water heater installed and afterwards, I hit the road for 3 miles. The intent was for 40 min, but my Apple Watch was acting up on me and kept kicking my run out. I capped it at 3 miles that was recorded over a few Runkeeper sessions due to the bugginess. 


Tuesday was a Burn Boot Camp day. The workout was Arms & Shoulders Circuit which is frankly what I am weakest at, so of course it sucked, but getting it done helps me get better and that's why I joined. 

Wednesday, the intent was to do a lunchtime run, but I suck and forgot my belt and just do not feel comfortable doing the Airport run without a phone, so it didn't happen. I regret missing my Wed. run a lot. It was a crap decision to not do it. 

Thursday was another Burn day. This time Chest and Back Day. Again, another day that I suck at (anything with upper body I am a disaster at). I could have taken the easy route and done a Leg or Conditioning day, but I'm really trying to improve at the things I am terrible at. 

And today, well, today, things are not looking good. It is wet and cold and raining and blargh. I should run today, but I am toying with instead hitting up an evening Burn class after work. We'll see.

Overall, I am disappointed at my lack of running miles this week. I have a pretty aggressive race schedule coming up with 2 races per month in Dec, Jan and Feb (these two are both Hot Chocolate 15Ks - one in Atlanta and one in Charlotte back to back) plus the Tobacco Road Half Marathon in March. And here I am slacking off like I've nothing to train for. But, it is what it is and I'll make it work how I can. 

What about you? Have you been better than I have been at meeting your goals this week? Let me know in the comments below. Stay safe and stay warm this weekend for those you in unexpected snowy areas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment