Wednesday, January 3, 2018

The Year End Wrap Up (a few days late)


My mother is fond of telling me that I was born early and have been making up for it ever since by being later for everything else. It used to bother me. I used to insist that I had lots of great excuses for being late. I would change and somehow magically be one of those people who have their stuff together and are able to make it not only on time for things, but *gasp* early for stuff. 

But since I turned 40, I think I've come to accept that someone who is late (not really really late, but if I'm supposed to be there at 6:30, plan on me being there at 6:30:59). 

With that said, here's a quick 2017 year end review - a few days late...


2017 was an OK running year for me. I had a few setbacks, but lots of successes as well. I wasn't as consistent as I should have been and definitely have more work to do going forward. Let's break it down.

2017 Setbacks

17 Races Achieved in 2017 - Didn't even plan that! 
  • Lower mileage year - in 2016 I ran 1100+ miles. 2017 I only hit 836
  • Only 2 half marathons - I had been increasing by 1 each year, should have run 4 in 2017, but only ran 2
  • 3 4th place finishes - 4th is really the worst place, esp 2 of those I was convinced I'd hit at least 3rd
  • Missed a week of training in Feb due to the flu. Then I ran a race not fully recovered and went straight back to bed for another few days
  • Missed over a week of training in Oct due to wisdom tooth removal. Also still have nerve damage issues in my face that are SLOWLY (very slowly) improving
  • Missed a week of training in Nov due to Disney trip and cold. I planned to run some in Disney, but when I got a cold on the trip, there was just no way I had the energy for full days in the parks and early wake ups for running.

2017 Successes
  • Qualified for Fleet Feet Sports Racing Team
  • New 10K PR
  • New Half PR
  • Chosen as BibRave Pro
  • Chosen as Run & Ride Series Ambassador
  • 3 medal placings - 1 half and 2 5K
  • Launched Twitter (786) Instagram (600) and Blog
  • Ran 17 races
  • Ran 836 miles
  • Joined Burn Boot Camp to incorporate more cross training into my plan.
Not too shabby if I do say so myself. So what is on deck for 2018? Here are my goals main goals for this year -


2018 Goals* 
  • Run 1009 miles - me and a friend are splitting 2018 miles
  • Run 18 races
  • Place in 4 races
  • 1200 Twitter followers
  • 1000 Instagram followers
  • Run 4 Half Marathons (Tobacco Rd., Kings Mtn, Run & Ride, Rock n Roll Savannah) with a new PR in at least 1
  • Do an Obstacle Race (Warrior Dash) 
  • Renew as BibRave Pro
  • Blog more - 4 per month at least 
  • Keep a consistent training plan/journal (Using the Believe. Training Journal) 
That should keep me busy! 

What about you? Let me know some of your goals in the comments below. And Happy New Year! 2018 is going to be a great one! 


*Please note that being on time isn't a 2018 Goal. I know who I am.



1 comment:

  1. I love this so hard! Your setbacks were pretty minor compared to your successes! Can't wait to run with you this year! And by with you, I mean take before pics and then an hour after you finish, take some after pics!
    I know who I am too ;)
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete