Monday, January 29, 2018

Hot Chocolate 15K Atlanta Race Week

Disclaimer: I received free entry to the Hot Chocolate 15K Atlanta as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!

Gonna get my chocolate ON! 
It's race week, and not just any race week, but a Road Trip Race Week!! Me and one of my running besties, are hitting the road for Atlanta this weekend for the Hot Chocolate 15K. This will be my first BibRave sponsored race and my first time doing a Hot Chocolate 15K (and only my second 15K ever). So needless to say, I am pretty excited about the whole thing. Add on top of that the fact that I do not go out of town much, let alone without the little one in tow, ya'll I'm gonna be a mess. 

So how has training been going to prep? Pretty good actually. I've more or less hit all of my training mileage goals leading up and feel pretty strong. As I said, this will be my 2nd 15K with my first being 2 years ago, so I am hoping for a 15K PR. The last one I ran in 1:32 so I am shooting for a 1:30 time. The big concern right now is the weather, which I have been obsessively stalking. The first time I checked it, 10 days prior race day, the forecast actually said SNOW! I bout lost it. Snow in the South is no laughing matter peeps. We are not cut out for that stuff. Anyway, the temps have raised slightly and the S-word is no longer in the forecast, but at T-minus 6 days and counting, it is saying rain instead. Really hoping if it does rain, it is light. I keep telling myself if I did a race in 13 degrees recently, I can run in anything. Plus, if I really blow it, I have another Hot Chocolate 15K the next weekend in Charlotte to try again. Gonna try to be optimistic about it though. Think warm/dry thoughts!!


I wasn't sure what to run this weekend since I am actually in the middle of Half Marathon training for Tobacco Road in March also, and technically should have done an 11 miler this weekend, but since I do want to push for a time, I thought I should do some kind of minor tapering. Well, I split the difference and did a leisurely 9 miles of trails at Anne Springs Greenway with a friend. Super slow pace, but you know, the challenge of trails. It was really pretty and I swung by the Grist Mill which was pretty cool since I'd never been there before. I will for sure go back though. The rest of this week I am going to take it kind of easy - did 2 miles this morning and am planning three more runs this week, two for 3 miles and a 4 miler. 


Seriously, say hi if you see me!
So what's left to do. Saturday we will drive down to Atlanta and hit up the Expo. Hoping to meet up with a few of my Run the Rock/Burn Boot Camp girls while there too. I'm planning to wear my comfy cozy BibRave Hoodie, so if you see me (and it is BRIGHT ORANGE so I'll be hard to miss, be sure to say hi! I already added myself to the Start List on Athlinks. The race is bright an early Sunday morning and I pre-qualified for a Wave 1, Corral B start. 

All that is really left to do is to pack! I am the worst at deciding what to wear for a race, especially when the weather is questionable. For now, I am planning of course a BibRave and I am thinking I will wear a thermal under it. I am planning to use my new BibBoards (super stoked about not putting holes in my BibRave shirt) and I typically race in CW-X tights, but haven't decided if I will go full or 3/4 tights. Guess I need to wait a few more days for a more definite weather forecast. I am an over-planner and over-thinker. 

I guess that is it! What about you? When is your next race and how do you prep? Tell me in the comments. And please, think warm/dry thoughts for me. 

And there is still time to sign up for the Hot Chocolate 15K Atlanta if you want to join me. Need a bit more incentive... use code “BRHCATL18” for a super cool HC hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment