Friday, October 18, 2019

Virtually Crossing That Finish Line - NYRR Halfway There 13.1M Results

Disclaimer: I am participating in the NYRR Virtual Halfway There 13.1M as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review, find, and write race reviews!


You may recall a few weeks ago, I told you about the NYRR Virtual Halfway There 13.1M virtual race that had registered for. Well, the virtual finish line has passed for 7600+ participants who joined on Strava. So how did it go?

Well we had from Sept. 7th until Oct. 13th to cover the 13.1 Half Marathon miles, anytime, anyplace. I had a few different options for mine since I have been pretty aggressively training for the Rock n Roll Savannah Half Marathon on Nov. 2nd. In fact, I had 4 weekends during that time that I was scheduled to run 13 or more miles. 

I eventually picked Sept. 28th as my "official" race day. This ended up being pretty big running day for another reason, I joined a new running club that day also. I had known several members of Fast Feet over the years, but had never officially run with them, so I figured, sure, let's share a Virtual race. I think my logic was that I would be less nervous about both if I combined them. Well, I guess it worked, because I had an awesome run with some awesome people. 

My goal for my training plan that day was to run 13 miles at a 10:00 pace. Oops, I ran 13.28 at a 9:43 (I'm terrible at slowing down when I need to). But I was happy with my time, and happy with my run. I of course tracked everything with Strava so I got an awesome little badge for my account and added to the leaderboard. Fun! 

My Strava Results Screen


Overall, it was a lot of fun. I got to connect with some awesome people by joining both the Strava Challenge group and the NYRR Virtual Racing Facebook Group. Virtual races like these are awesome opportunities to help motivate you and connect you to other runners. Plus you can pick your date/time so if the weather is not optimal, no big deal, move it! 

I would totally do another NYRR Virtual. And lucky for me, they have several! Just check out their website here for more upcoming races and details. https://nyrr.org/run/race-calendar

Have you ever run a virtual race? If so, which one and what did you like or not like about it? Let me know in the comments below.




No comments:

Post a Comment