Thursday, August 15, 2019

Setting the Bar High

Last year I had no goals, look how relaxed I was, lol
This week officially marks 12 weeks before Rock n Roll Savannah and my attempt at breaking a 2 hour Half Marathon time. I keep joking with people that I am planning to break 2, or die trying. Here, as my 12 week training plan looms in front of me, I am leaning more towards the will die trying version of the story. 

In order to prepare for my sub-2, and ultimately shave 4 minutes off of my time from last November, I've scoured the internet on the best ways to accomplish this. I settled on 2 training plans, 1 that was 16 weeks from Garmin and another that is 12 weeks from Runners World. I can only see a week at a time of the Garmin plan, but so far, it's been fairly doable with the exception of one track workout that I only hit 3/6 of the sprint times (2 of which I just missed). 

Missed a few pace goals, still almost died... 
Now the Runners World plan on the other hand - the one that I set as my primary training plan, well that is starting to look darn near impossible. It is just Week 1 and I am already pretty sure I am going to fail my target Fartlek tonight. Seriously, I cannot run 20 min at an 8 pace, which I personally think is a bit aggressive for Week 1. And I know this, and I know that missing it will not mean that I am going to fail overall, but still there's a part of me that feels that I am doomed from the start. Here's the plan for reference: The half-marathon training plan for runners looking to finish in sub-2-hours

This weekend the plan calls for a "Time Trial". A 10K race done at an overal 9:00 pace. This is another one that is going to be a bit of a stretch for me to hit. I can do it, I have done it, but not in the conditions that this weekend is offering. Basically, it is August in the South and going to be hot, humid, plus a really hilly course. I've recruited a crew to race with me and there is a Craft Beef Festival at the finish, so trying to focus on those things and not the 55:48 clock time I have to beat. But it's hard.

The bottom line is, I am starting to kick my freak out into high gear that this goal is going to be a big ol' failure for me. And in the best case scenarios, I feel a certain looming sense of imminent failure. 

Pretty fearless looking, eh? NOT
A coworker of mine said to me just today that she could never imagine me being stressed out about anything. To that, I laughed. Then I laughed harder (probably to the point that it was a bit uncomfortable, but hey, it was the funniest thing I've heard in a long time). I then explained to her that maybe she thinks that because she just sees me how I am right now, a CONSTANT ball of anxiety, ready to explode at any moment. Seriously, I am never not stressed out. Her logic is that I do so much stuff, races, riding motorcycles, ropes courses, Boot Camp, roller coasters and pretty much any adventure or challenge that I can get my hands on.

Sure, I do all that. But I am literally terrified about 99% of the time. Terrified of failure or terrified of consequences or just a general sense of random terror. I just don't let it stop me. There's a quote from Carrie Fisher that I love - "Stay afraid, but do it anyway." Every race I do, no matter the distance, I am terrified at the Start. Every new adventure I try, same. I've just learned to push past it and to make the most out of life anyway. I think more people do this than they admit. 

Cross training like a badass
Long story short, I may be heading back to the drawing table on this whole training plan thing. I keep telling myself that I've got a few other things going for me that the plan doesn't address. For example, there is no cross training in my training plans and I cross train like a beast with Burn Boot Camp at least 4 days per week in addition to my 5 running days (yes, I am very tired). I've also searched a few other plans and they seem more doable. I may need to switch. 

But no matter what I choose, you can for sure, I will be totally freaking out about it, right up to the finish line. 

What strategy do you recommend for hitting a specific race goal? Do you go with make your own plan like me? Do you go with a coach? Train with a group? I'd love to hear about what you do in the comments. 

And stay tuned for updates on my Rock n Roll Savannah. Heck, are you interested in joining me in Savannah? You can register with discount codes “19RNRBRP16” for $16 off half/marathon or “19RNRBRP6” for $6 off shorter distances. I will also be running the 5K on Sunday as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment