Monday, December 31, 2018

2018 Recap



So here we are. The end of another year. Time for a final look at 2018 and see how things went as far as meeting my goals. But first up...

2018 Setbacks


I'll be honest, 2018 was a pretty great year for me overall. I didn't run into any real illness or injuries that kept me off the road. I owe a lot of that to an increase in cross training with Burn Boot Camp. Overall, going 2 or 3 times per week throughout the year I think kept me pretty healthy. If I had to pick a major area that I struggled with, it would have to be nutrition. I got what I felt was pretty lousy advice near the end of 2017 that set me on the path of some pretty unhealthy habits for weight loss (too few calories, too drastic loss). Right before the end of the year, I had lost 12 pounds in just 3 weeks while maintaining full activity. I felt like my body was shutting down. I think I kind of rebelled against that by not following any kind of plan once I realized that I could not keep going like that. Anyway, I need to be more sensible about watching what I eat and making better choices. I will be posting my goals for 2019 later this week, but you can be sure that nutrition will be a big one. I've been very lucky not to bounce back and gain a bunch of weight back, but that won't last forever, plus, esp with heavy training at the beginning of 2019, I just need to eat better to perform and feel better. Again, more on this soon. 

The most frustrating thing that I think happened to me in 2019 was missing hitting a new 5K PR by 3 seconds at Rock n Roll Savannah. 3 SECONDS! And yes, I know I had just set a new Half PR the day before, and I know I ran a good race, but missing by that little is super frustrating. And now that I've switched focus away from speed training, looks like that 5K PR will hold for a while. 

I also did not follow a regular planner like I had set out to do. This is one I am going to try as a do over goal for 2019, so I will be talking more about this in my upcoming 2019 goals. 2019 is going to have a pretty consistent theme of getting organized. I seriously cannot keep going on like a chicken with my head cut off. The chaos will be tamed in 2019! 

Otherwise... 2018 was kind of awesome! 

Let's take one last look at my goals and how I did. (Goals are listed in orange). Less than a month to get everything checked off! 

  • Run 1009 miles - me and a friend are splitting 2018 miles
    • BOOM! Mission accomplished a full MONTH early! I ended the year with 1,140 total miles! 

  • Run 18 races
    • Grand total of 21 races for 2018! Wow! I'll admit, I kind of got carried away at the end of the year. I will not be racing this much in 2019, but I do have a few important races lined up (see below). 2018 was EXHAUSTING! Here's what I ran - 

Baxter Trail NYD Gnome Run 5K, Joe Davis Run for Recovery 10K, Hot Chocolate 15K Atlanta, Hot Chocolate 15K Charlotte, Tobacco Road Half Marathon, Come See Me Road Race 5K, Kings Mountain Half Marathon, Warrior Dash 5K, Moonlight Bootlegger Trail 5K, Insane Inflatable 5K, Common Heart Firecracker 10K, Summerfest 5K, Color Me for Life 5K, Great Pumpkin Run 5K, Rock n Roll Savannah Half Marathon, 5K, and 1 Mile races, Run Hard Lexington 10K, Gobble Wobble 8K, Huntersville Half Marathon, and Santa Run 8K. Whew... 
  • Place in 4 races
    • Y'all this is one goal that I was super excited about exceeding. I managed 7 placements in 2018!! Here's the stats - 
      • 3rd Place Baxter Trail NYD Gnome Run 5K
      • 1st Place Come See Me 5K
      • 2nd Place Kings Mountain Half Marathon
      • 2nd Place Mooonlight Bootlegger Trail 5K
      • 1st Place Common Heart Firecracker 10K
      • 3rd Place Summerfest 5K
      • 1st Place Great Pumpkin Run 5K
Here's a quick visual of all the medals and awards I brought home. Missing is a pint glass for the NYD Gnome Run 5K because the decal washed off.

Bling for days... 

  • 1200 Twitter followers
    • Done and Done! I just surpassed 1500 followers! 


    • 1000 Instagram followers
      • Did not make my original goal, but in my last update post, I said I would be happy with 900. I hit that. Currently at 926. This will be a bigger focus in 2019.


      • Run 4 Half Marathons with a new PR in at least 1
        • 4 Half Marathons accomplished. And 2 new PRs! Here's what I raced:
          • New PR at Tobacco Road - 2:07
          • Kings Mountain Half Marathon (no PR, but improved over previous year)
          • Even newer PR at Rock n Roll Savannah - 2:05
          • Huntersville Half paced a friend who got a new PR for her!


        • Do an Obstacle Race (Warrior Dash) 
          • Done and done! This was a total blast. So much fun! I can't wait to run it again Although one of my friends is trying to convince us to upgrade to the Spartan. We'll see...
        Our crazy messy crew
        • Renew as BibRave Pro
          • So exited to say that I have achieved this goal! I have absolutely LOVED being a BibRave Pro and am stoked about being on board for another year. I've been able to test out some really amazing items this year (my favorites probably being Aftershokz and OOFS) and run some really fun races (2 Hot Chocolate races, Tobacco Road and Rock n Roll Savannah). But more than that, I am so thankful for the community of runners that I have gotten to meet over the past year. I cannot wait for the amazing opportunities that 2019 will hold for me with BibRave. I already have my first 2 2019 BibRave races scheduled, Hot Chocolate Charlotte on Jan. 19 and Tobacco Road Marathon (my first ever) on Mar. 17. Check out the notes at the bottom of this post for details on how you can join me at these races including discount codes! 


          • Blog more - 4 per month at least 
            • Some month's have been better than others (I'm looking at you, May and August) but I can say that I have overall done a much better job of blogging than in 2017.  This post will bring me to 50 for the year, which averages out to 4.2 posts per month which is so I'm calling it a win. I am going to be focusing even more on Blog building in 2019.


            • Keep a consistent training plan/journal (Using the Believe Training Journal) 
              • As you read above. This was a big ol' fail for me. Hey, if you met all of your goals, that means you didn't aim high enough, right!? That's what I am going with at least. This year I am trying the Simple Elephant planner. I have it already set up, ready to go. 
            Here a a few other 2018 Successes that I did not specifically have as goal, but wanted to mention:
            • New PR in every distance I raced in 2018 - 5K, 8K, 10K, 15K and Half. Now I didn't PR every race, I did at one point in the year PR each distance
            • Was consistent with Burn Boot Camp. Sure, I may call it Torture Camp, but it is all with love. I have gotten loads stronger, which has really helped my running and made some amazing friends. Love my #BurnSisters
            • Also, earlier this year, my Burn Boot Camp Rock Hill location had a location shirt design contest, and I won it! In fact, that pictured to the right is me wearing the shirt that I designed! 
            • Signed up for a Marathon. I may have mentioned this one or two (or a billion times). Signing up was one of my scariest moments of 2018. So far, I am on track with training. I just started Week 8 of 18 of training. 

            Looking Forward - Join Me on the Road in 2019

            As I mentioned above, I already have a few 2019 lined up. 


            I'm so excited about running my 3rd Hot Chocolate 15K (2nd Charlotte one) on January 19th. Not only do I think that 15K is the perfect distance (right around the 10 mile mark, I start to think to myself - Why am I still running? - but there is CHOCOLATE at the finish. Not just Hot Chocolate mind you, but all manner of yummies! Plus, their swag is legit some of the best race swag ever (see the pic to the right) Join me and register with discount code BRHCCharlotte and you get not only the medal, the jacket (so worth the registration fee alone) the chocolate and goodies (YUM), but also a really cool branded arm band for holding your phone while running. There is also a 5K option, but heads up that you do not get a medal for this. You still get the jacket, goodies and the arm band (with the discount code). 


            Tobacco Road Marathon on March 17th will be MY EVER FIRST MARATHON at Tobacco Road!! I have already started training with the BibRave and Aftershokz #262Squad and am on Week 4 of training. You can join me at Tobacco Road, register with discount code trmrave19 for $20 off either the Half or the Full - https://tobaccoroadmarathon.com 

            You can also join the #262Squad Marathon Training Program here: 262squad.aftershokz.com/
            Download the plan on the Motigo App and join in anytime. You will receive a full 18 week training plan that consists of 4 running days per week, many of which have helpful audio cues that play throughout your run. I'm loving it so far!. 


            How about you? Tell me how your 2018 went. What were your major accomplishments? Feel free to follow me on Twitter or Instagram if you haven't already.

            Are you looking at 2019 yet? If so, what do you have planned?

            ** Do note that I am right on schedule for the 2018 recap, unlike last year when was 3 days late 😊 See, already getting the jump on that getting organized thing for 2019. 

            3 comments:

            1. Awesome year in running! 21 races is so great! Congrats on the age group awards too! :)
              I didn't break my year down quite as detailed, but I love how you did that. Sounds like you had a good 2018, and are ready for 2019!

              ReplyDelete
              Replies
              1. Ugh, that was me. Not sure why it's coming up unknown. LOL!

                Delete
              2. Thanks so much! I'm pretty happy about this year. Pretty tired too :P

                Delete